Friday, January 16, 2015

Crossmatch and pee stash

This weekend I had to do me pee experiment which wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be. The only tricky part was going to the movies and needing to use the toilet. I came up with the brilliant idea of buying a drink and using the bottle because I did not want to start all over again by missing some of my urine. After the movie I made my way to Clicks and bought a vitamin water to use the bottle and Marc and I chugged the bottle down as quickly as we could. This turned out to not be a bad idea and I could carry on testing till Sunday morning instead of having to start all over again.

After finishing my 24 hours I took the bottle back to Pathcare to have more blood drawn, I was glad that it was only 2 normal 5ml vials this time instead of the huge vials. This leaves no more blood to be drawn and only the nephrologist and the psychiatrist testing. There is another test I have to do when they shoot the dye in your veins and see the outlines of the kidneys and how the vein work is inside the kidney. This is the absolute last test before we have the actual transplant which we are really hoping to have done in March.

We however did get the most important result back that our tissue typing was negative which is awesome so we can move forward to the next steps. Tissue type is involved in the process of getting rid of viruses from the body and HLA are proteins that are located on the surface of the white blood cells and other tissues in the body. This means Tam wouldn't need as strong anti-rejection drugs as she might have had to use for the first transplant.

Before that however I need to get the last 5 - 7kgs off my arse so the docs will be able to operate on me. All the testing is exciting like it's an adventure Tam and I are going on together for a huge reward at the end of it all. Even with the stress of losing the weight and making the healthiest choices so I can be able to recover after the op I know I'm doing the right thing.

Have a good, healthy weekend peeps
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment